My friend Aaron put me up to this.
Here’s how you play: Once you’ve been tagged you have to write a blog with 10 weird, random, facts, habits or goals about yourself.
1. I detest rodents.
2. I spent my childhood drifting around the country. Thus, I was born in Rhode Island, though I haven’t been there since I was 3.
4. I started school in Chantilly, VA.
5. I lived for several years on the Subic Bay Naval base as a kid. What I remember most from there are the beaches, and the monkeys. We had a troupe of monkeys who would perch in the trees out of our backyard.
6. I hate guns. When I was in 8th grade, my best friend’s father murdered his mother then committed suicide. He (Bill, my friend Adam’s father) taught me hunter safety and made all kinds of NRA noise about how to keep your house gun-safe. Repeat: I hate guns. (This did make some trouble for me in the Navy.)
7. Before 6, I did some competitive shooting.
8. I have a certificate in information processing from the Tongue Point Job Corps Center (Astoria, OR). Astoria is one of my most favorite towns, and I love the Oregon Coast.
9. I have formally studied the following subjects (declared as majors at various institutions): music, electronics technology, mechanical engineering, computer science, business, political science, sociology, and English/creative writing. To date, I’ve completed a degree in exactly zero disciplines.
10. I realized that I was a bit different from my classmates in Junior High, when I first read Euclid and Plato, and was reading Asimov for light reading. Most of my cohort was reading Steven King.